What is a Shockwave Therapy (ESWT)
Pure Osteopathy has recently invested in the latest EMS Swiss Dolorclast Smart Shockwave Therapy Machine to use in conjunction with osteopathy management of chronic musculoskeletal conditions.
The Swiss DolorClast® Method uses single acoustic pressure waves, called shock waves, to treat a variety of musculoskeletal pathologies. By delivering a mechanical stress to injured tissues, Shock Waves enable: immediate pain relief and a healing reaction of the body.
The Swiss DolorClast ® Method is Clinically Proven , Safe and Effective
What disorders can be treated
- Neck Pain (Myofascial pain syndromes)
- Shoulder Pain (Calcifying tendinitis of the shoulder, subacrominal pain syndrome)
- Back Pain (Myofascial pain syndromes, idiopathic lowerback pain and pseudoradicular syndromes)
- Elbow Pain (Lateral and medial epicondylitis)
- Hand Pain (Dupuytrens disease, De Quervain disease, trigger finger and Carpal tunnel syndrome)
- Hip Pain (Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome)
- Hamstring Pain (Hamstring tendinopathy, insertional)
- Knee Pain (Osteoarthritis, patella tip syndrome)
- Osgood -Schlatter Disease
- Achilles Pain (Achilles tendinopathy, insertional and mid body)
- Heel Pain (Plantar fasciopathy also known as “fasciitis)
The benefits of Shockwave Treatment
- Stimulates your own healing mechanism
- Breaks up calcifications
- BoostS Collagen Production
- No risk of tendon weakening and/or rupture (unlike with cortisone injection)
- No risk of infection
- Reported High success rate (60-90%)
- Non Invasive
- Clinically proven and effective
Don’t Be Fooled: Not All Sunshine Coast Shockwave Therapy Is The Same
At Pure Osteopathy Noosa, we saw no point in purchasing an inferior machine because it was cheaper or more portable. We chose the DolorClast machine because where we felt the DolorClast Master Touch left the others behind was that the delivery of energy from this machine to the targeted area was unparallelled. The 30 kilogram air compressor of the DolorClast unit is able to deliver a pressure wave and energy sensation to the targeted area that is far greater than any of the other machines can muster. Many health practitioners with the other manufacturers shockwave units will most likely need to set them to maximum or near maximum intensity levels to deliver a sensation near comparable to the pressure and energy sensation felt with the DolorClast machine at low intensity pressures. At Pure Osteopathy we feel this had a lot to do with among other things the size and weight of the unit and the “punch” it can deliver as a result of the weight of the DolorClast medical grade compressor is significantly greater than any of the other units on the market. Putting a 30kg compressor up against a 7kg or even a 17kg compressor is like pitching a heavyweight boxer against a featherweight it’s obvious who will come out on top.
The DolorClast Shockwave Therapy Machine Has The Research Behind It
Did you know that the majority of research has been carried out on the Swiss Dolorclast Machines.?Shockwave therapy has some pretty impressive research studies to support the use of the therapy. However after researching a number of different machines for us it was obvious that no two machines delivered the same treatment. So although you may be paying for shockwave therapy and doing so because the research suggests it would be useful for your condition.Unless you are receiving shockwave therapy from machines used in research you can’t necessarily expect the same results as the studies obtained. Having looked at much of the research available on radial shockwave therapy and trying it for ourselves, our decision became clear. Not only did the DolorClast unit pack more of a punch, it had the research to support it.
The Swiss DolorClast Method® is the most well-researched shock wave therapy on the market.
- 30 out of 45 of the randomized controlled trials (RCTs) on rESWT listed in the PEDro database were performed with the Swiss DolorClast® machine
- In 80% of these studies, the Swiss DolorClast® resulted in better clinical outcome than the control group
TOP ATHLETES GET TREATED WITH THE SWISS DOLORCLAST METHOD®
- used by almost all of the AFL teams
- the official shockwave treatment for every Olympic Games since Athens (2004,2008,2012,2014)
- used in every FIFA World Cup since Korea and Japan (2002,2006,2010,2014)
- Used by World best Football/Soccer Clubs (FC Barcelona, Manchester City, Chelsea London, PSG, AC Milan )
- Tennis ATP Tour (Rolland Garros etc)
- Rugby World Cup 2011,2015
Documented international results show an overall success rate of 77% of chronic conditions that have not been cured with other kinds of treatment.
- 91% Improvement for Calcific Tendinitis – Journal of the American Medical Association
- 77% Improvement for Tennis Elbow – (Journal – Orthopedics)
- 84% Improvement for Plantar Fasciopathy – (Journal – American Journal of Sports Medicine)
A treatment is considered to be successful when you experience a minimum of 75% reduction in pain within 3 months. It is important to highlight that we would expect positive clinical outcomes following treatment however there is a chance that the treatment may not improve your symptoms.
Contraindications (when Shockwave may not be suitable)
Shockwave is unsuitable in the following circumstances:
- If you are pregnant
- If you have a blood clotting disorder (including thrombosis)
- If you are taking oral anti-coagulants
- If you have received a Steroid injection within 6 weeks
- If you have a Pacemaker fitted
- If tumours are present at the treatment site
- If you have an infection or skin
- abrasion at the treatment site
- If you are Under 18 (except in the treatment of Osgood-Schlatter disease)
Any treatment over an air-filled area such as the lungs or guts is also not possible.
This list is of course not exhaustive, and an assessment by a practitioner is always necessary.
Shockwave therapy is a strong option for patients who want to avoid surgery, steroid injections, prescription medication, and possible side effects.
So What is Your Next Step?
If you are not sure Shockwave is an appropriate course of treatment, click below to complete a free, confidential
and we will reply within 24 hrs and answer any questions you may have.
Alternatively, call us to schedule an appointment asap 07 5455 3311